Posts for: October, 2017
Has tooth loss altered your smile? Moraga, CA, dentist Dr. Laura Halvorsen explains how you can benefit from dentures.
Replacing lost teeth offers important advantages
Dentures can help you:
- Eat a Varied Diet: The healthiest diet is one that contains a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, poultry, fish and whole grains. Unfortunately, your ability to eat the foods you need to stay healthy declines after you lose teeth. Thanks to dentures, you won't need to limit your diet to soft foods.
- Speak Clearly: Your teeth, tongue and lips work together when you form words. If teeth are missing, it may be hard to make certain sounds or pronounce words easily. Dentures restore your ability to speak easily and clearly.
- Prevent Sagging: Your teeth help support the muscles in your lower face. Wearing dentures can help you avoid the sagging that often occurs after tooth loss.
Choose from several types of dentures
During your visit to our Moraga office, we'll explain denture options, including:
- Full Dentures: These dentures are recommended if you've lost all of the teeth in your upper or lower jaw or both jaw. They consist of artificial teeth added to a pink base designed to look like natural gum tissue. You'll receive full dentures after your mouth has healed from tooth extractions.
- Immediate Dentures: There's no waiting involved with immediate dentures. You'll receive them immediately after your extractions. Because your mouth changes as it heals, you'll eventually need to have immediate dentures relined or rebased to ensure a comfortable fit.
- Overdentures: If tooth remnants remain, overdentures may be recommended. The dentures fit over broken teeth, allowing you to keep the tooth roots responsible for a strong jawbone.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are a good choice if you have some remaining teeth. The dentures are attached to your teeth with small hooks or other types of connectors.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures are supported by a metal framework attached to titanium implants placed in your jawbone. These dentures are less likely to slip and make it easier to chew hard foods.
Are you ready to restore your smile with dentures? Call Moraga, CA, dentist Dr. Laura Halvorsen at (925) 376-4626 to schedule an appointment.